As we get closer to fall, a German tradition is about to start in Huntsville. Mid-September marks the annual Oktoberfest celebration at Redstone Arsenal. It starts Thursday, September 13 and goes through Sunday, September 16, 2018. There you’ll find carnival rides, games, live music, and, of course, authentic German food and beer.
This annual event is open to the public and will be at the MWR Activity Field. Admission includes unlimited carnival rides, free entertainment, free parking and free park and ride shuttle service. Festival hours and admission prices are below:
- Thursday, September 13 5 pm – 10 pm $14
- Friday, September 14 5 pm – 1 am $17
- Saturday, September 15 12 pm – 1 am $17
- Sunday, September 16 12 pm – 7 pm $14
There is an active duty military special with a $2 discount per person on Friday night. The discount is good for up to 5 family members. Military ID must be presented when you buy tickets.
For an additional charge, you can enjoy the Craft Biergarten. It will be under the covered stage at the Activity Field. Each session costs $25 and includes a souvenir sample glass and unlimited tasting of craft beer from some of the best breweries in Alabama, Georgia and Tennessee. I hear there’s going to be more than 50 taps. You may even find a few ciders. The sessions will be held on:
- Thursday, September 13: 6 p.m. – 10 p.m.
- Friday, September 14: 6 p.m. – 11:30 p.m.
- Saturday, September 15
- Session 1: 3 p.m. – 7 p.m.
- Session 2: 7:30 p.m. – 11:30 p.m.
- Sunday, September 16: 1 p.m. – 5 p.m.
For a list of the breweries featured in the Biergarten, click here.
Things to know before you go to Oktoberfest:
- You will need a valid government-issued photo ID to get on Redstone Arsenal.
- It is a cash only event. There will be an ATM from Redstone Federal Credit Union on site.
- Your best place to enter the Arsenal is at Gate 8 at Goss Road. You will need to take Patton Road to get there. It’s just past the Metro Kiwanis Sports Plex.